Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Saffron, White And Green. The Amazing story of India's Independence

Last year I heard about Flipkart & first thing I wanted to do returning to India was to try their service. I didn't have any particular buy in mind, just browsing through the latest books I happened to see this one & decided to buy it. I am glad I did.

The first impression reading off from the Acknowledgments

"This book was planned because Indian children only learn about out freedom movement through the matter-of-fact pages of school textbooks. Somehow all the excitement and drama of the events is lost among the baldly stated facts and boring clauses of acts of parliament. Children just read about the freedom movement to give exams; the significance of events are lost to them.

So this book tries to tell it like a story of one of the most unusual freedom movements in the world, one that chose the path of non-violence instead of an armed struggle. And it tries to capture the drama and sweep of those extraordinary years and its cast of charismatic characters. "

No comments: